Domestic airfares increase by 45%
With the recent decision of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, the maximum prices for domestic air tickets in Turkey have increased sharply, leading to a significant increase in travel costs. According to the new decision, the total price for seats corresponding to 85% of the aircraft capacity will be set at 1,650 Turkish Liras (TRY). For the remaining 15% of seats, the maximum price will be 2,500 TRY.
This adjustment represents a price increase of almost 45% compared to the previous rates. Sources speaking to Bloomberg HT revealed that the decision was made following a meeting convened by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
The General Directorate of Civil Aviation had initially set the maximum price for domestic one-way flights at TRY 299 in 2013. This figure was raised to 309 TRY in 2014, 352 TRY in 2017 and remained unchanged until October 2019. By the end of 2021, the maximum price will reach 499 TRY. However, there is no ceiling price regulation for business class tickets on domestic flights or international access.
The maximum price, 599 TRY at the beginning of 2022, was revised to 1,150 TRY. This new regulation will make air travel more expensive for travelers considering their budget. Travelers and companies in the aviation industry expect these developments to be closely watched.