Iraqi Foreign Minister: PKK forces were not present in Parakh village during attack
PKK militants were not present in Parakh village, Zakho town of northern Iraq on Wednesday when an artillery strike killed nine civilians including two children and injured 22 others, Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein said in an interview with Rudaw TV.
He reiterated that Turkish forces were behind the attack but Turkey still failed to issue a formal apology.
Earlier on Saturday, Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed Sahaf said the government had evidence showing Turkey committed the attack.
On Friday, an anonymous Iraqi official said that 155 mm artillery shells have been collected from the scene, and said “no armed faction operating inside Iraq had this kind of cannon, but it is an essential part of the armament of the Turkish army.”
The Iraqi Foreign Minister told Rudaw that Iraq did not seek a military option to respond to Turkey's attack but has formally lodged a complaint with the UN Security Council and will do its best through diplomatic channels.
“PKK’s presence in Iraqi territory is unacceptable, but Turkey targets places where there are no PKK militants. So what are Turkey’s intentions?” Hussein asked.