US Foreign Ministry ‘deeply concerned' about attacks along Syrian northern border
The US Foreign Ministry stepped up warnings against the escalation of violence in Syria after amid increasing civilian casualties.
“The United States is deeply concerned about recent attacks along Syria’s northern border and urges all parties to maintain ceasefire lines,” said Ned Price, the spokesperson of the US Foreign Ministry in a statement published in the ministry’s web site.
He also said the US deplored the civilian casualties in Al-Bab, Hasakah, and elsewhere. “We remain committed to our efforts to ensure the enduring defeat of ISIS and a political resolution to the Syrian conflict.”
Last week, a suspected Turkish drone attack targeted a girls’ center in the northern city of Hasakah and killed four teenage girls while they were playing volleyball. A day later, seventeen civilians, including six children, were killed by the Syrian army's shelling in the city of Al-Bab. At least 38 others were injured, including children, women and elderly.
Price’s statement came three days after another notice from the spokesman. On Saturday, during his daily briefing, he said: “We urge all parties to de-escalate, maintain, and respect ceasefire zones, and to work towards a political solution to the conflict.”