The search for justice for Suruc continues after eight years

The search for justice for Suruc continues after eight years
Publish:
A+ A-
The investigation into the massacre has not been effective and many of those responsible have not been held accountable.

By Esra Ciftci

On July 20, 2015, a suicide bombing took place in the garden of the Amara Cultural Center in the Suruc district of Urfa, Turkey. The attack left 33 people dead and more than 150 injured.

Sevda Celik Ozbıngol, one of the lawyers in the Suruc trial, spoke to Artı Gerçek on the eighth anniversary of the massacre. She said the investigation into the massacre has not been effective and many of those responsible have not been held accountable.

Ozbıngol said that the suicide bomber who was at large in Suruc made it all the way to the Amara Cultural Center without encountering any obstacles, although there was a report of a suicide bombing in Suruç district. She also said that one of the recent news reports revealed that the name of the suicide bomber had been questioned by Suruç police personnel shortly before the incident.

Ozbıngol noted that the investigation into the massacre was conducted under a secrecy order for 18 months and that none of the lawyers' requests to expand the investigation were taken into consideration. She emphasized that not only an effective investigation was not carried out, but also the massacres, which were connected to each other, took place within this chain of negligence.

Ozbıngol said that the families of the victims have been subjected to all kinds of pressure, including lawsuits and arrests. She also said that many of those responsible have not been brought to justice.

"The struggle for justice will not end with such pressures," Ozbingol said, adding that "our struggle as lawyers for the case and the families will continue until all those responsible are identified and brought to justice."