Death toll nears 40,000
The search and rescue operations have in large part been concluded, Turkish interior minister Soylu has said.
Turkish interior minister updated the fatalities in the earthquake as 39,672.
Speaking at a live broadcast on Friday evening, minister Süleyman Soylu said that the search and rescue operations have in large part been concluded, and operations were carried out in the rubble of over 20,000 buildings.
The fatalities in the twin quakes that struck on 6 February are already over the figure in the 7.8 M Erzincan earthquake in 1939.
Close to 33,000 fatalities had been reported in the Erzincan earthquake that was the most powerful earthquake on record in Turkey.