Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises above 45,000 - AFAD
The death toll in Turkey from last month's devastating earthquake has risen to 45,089 and more than 108,000 have been injured, the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said on Wednesday,
After the earthquake and the subsequent strong tremors, millions of people sought shelter in tents or tried to get to other cities.
President Tayyip Erdogan has pledged to rebuild homes within a year, but it will be many months before thousands can leave their tents or container shelters and move into permanent housing, as well as the daily queues for food.
More than 160,000 Turkish buildings containing 520,000 homes collapsed or were severely damaged in the disaster, the worst in the country's modern history.
According to AFAD, about two million people have been registered as having fled the region, which has been hit by more than 11,000 aftershocks since the first quake.
It said more than 350,000 tents have been erected and tent cities have been set up in 332 locations in the region. Container settlements have been built in 162 locations.