Engineer arrested over deadly residence collapse in Turkey’s Hatay
An engineer identified as E.D. of the collapsed Renaissance Residence has been apprehended, Turkey’s state-run news agency Anadolu said on Saturday.
Nearly a thousand people had tragically lost their lives in the said residential complex.
The Hatay Public Prosecutor's Office, through its Earthquake Crimes Investigation Bureau, had previously issued an arrest warrant for E.D. This arrest was a part of their ongoing investigations to determine negligence in relation to the casualties and injuries from the buildings that were brought down by the earthquakes on February 6.
The 47-year-old suspect was taken into custody and, following the completion of necessary procedures, was remanded in custody by the on-duty magistrate.
The residence complex had been previously marketed as a "slice of heaven."
The contractor of Renaissance Residence, Mehmet Yasar Coskun, was detained at Istanbul Airport while attempting to leave the country just days after the quake. He was subsequently arrested. Earlier in the year, Ali Onur Cincinoglu, who had been responsible for the site's building inspection back in 2012, was arrested on March 21st in the Antakya district's Ekinci Neighborhood on Inonu Boulevard.