Turkey confiscates over 800 million liras in illegal betting ops after casino boss’ murder
Turkey has confiscated 808 million Turkish liras ($44 million) within the scope of a “virtual betting and gambling investigation” launched in October in connection with the Turkish Cypriot casino boss Halil Falyali’s murder.
The assets of 136 people who were determined as the organizers of the act have been confiscated and 101 people have been detained during a simultaneous operation carried out in 19 provinces on Tuesday, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said.
The 136 people included Falyali’s relatives, Soylu said in a press briefing in Antalya Police Department, Artı Gercek reported.
Businessman Halil Falyali who owned the Les Ambassadors Hotel and Casino in Northern Cyprus was gunned down near his home in coastal town of Girne in February.
Turkish Cypriot tycoon was accused of conspiring with former Turkish prime minister Binali Yıldırım’s son, Erkam Yildirim, in an international drug trafficking ring. Exiled Turkish mobster Sedat Peker who has made the headlines over his claims on government-mafia relations in Turkey via a series of Youtube videos last year, said Falyali worked with Yildirim to transport drugs to Turkey from Panama. Peker claimed the network received support from Interior Minister Soylu. All denied Peker’s allegations.
Falyali was also facing criminal charges in the United States for money laundering.
“Within the framework of the data we have reached following Halil Falyali’s murder, we monitored a Malta-Cyprus mobility. We have been on a technical pursuit since April. After a preliminary operation held in October, as of this morning, we have started a new operation,” Soylu said.