Turkish newspaper rejects Erdogan’s invitation
Cumhuriyet newspaper announced that they rejected the invitation to the “Turkey’s Century” event where Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will announce the roadmap of his Justice and Development Party (AKP) for 2023, a year when the Presidential and parliamentary elections will be held.
Cumhuriyet said that the AKP invited some opposition journalists and media organizations to the meeting, although AKP previously had not accepted them to any of its meetings for years and did not grant them accreditation rights.
“Among the institutions invited, there is also the Cumhuriyet newspaper which was founded by Ataturk, which defends the secular Republic of Turkey and paid the price with the ‘life’ of its writers in this path,” Cumhuriyet said.
Cumhuriyet said the reasons why they rejected the invitation were the new disinformation law and government aims to silence the media. AKP Group Deputy Chair Mahir Unal targeted the Republican regime through the “Alphabet Revolution,” and Cumhuriyet was not invited to even non-political events such as the Presidential Cycling Tour, Cumhuriyet said.
The “Turkey’s Century” event
On Friday, Erdogan will announce the “Turkey’s Century” document for 2023, the year that marks the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Republic.
At the ceremony which will be held at the Ankara Arena Sports Hall, Erdogan will announce his party’s goals under many topics such as foreign policy and economy. The event where a new logo and slogans will be introduced is believed to be the launch of Erdogan’s election campaign for the 2023 presidential and parliamentary elections.