Turkish troops to stay in Azerbaijan for a further year
A motion authorizing the Turkish administration to deploy troops in Azerbaijan for a further term of one year was approved by the Turkish Grand National Assembly (TMBB) on Tuesday.
Turkish troops were dispatched to Azerbaijan in the wake of a conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia in 2020 over disputes concerning the region of Karabakh.
The new term will begin on 17 November, with the previously set objectives of observing ceasefire, preventing violations, and supporting peace and stability.
The joint center established by Turkey and Russia where Turkish troops have been deployed continues with its activities, the motion noted, adding that the presence of Turkish military units at the center is pivotal for Turkey to play an effective and constructive role in the region and in protecting its own national interests.
State rhetoric behind the deployment
The Turkish state news agency AA had used the headline, "Turkish troops in Azerbaijan after 102 years," in its report on the deployment of Turkish troops two years ago.
It had said:
"The grandchildren of the soldiers who served in the Islamic Army of the Caucasus that was invited 102 years ago to Azerbaijan will now be deployed in the region in a positive response to Azerbaijan's calls for assistance and support."
The said army was formed in July 1918, a couple of months before the end of the First World War, on orders of The Ottoman Minister of War, Enver Pasha, a convicted war criminal and one of the perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide.
Enver Pasha, alongside other senior officials of the Union and Progress Party, was convicted by an Ottoman Military Tribunal, and was sentenced to death in absentia for bringing the Empire into the First World War, and for organizing massacres against Greeks and Armenians. He was killed in August 1922 by the Soviet Red Army in a revolt he tried to organize against the Soviets.